WHAT: the Happiness Challenge is straightforward: you have been challenged to cultivate joyful living and facilitating happiness in the life of 5 people, making a difference for them (WHEN:) by the end of Summer 2011. Do you take the challenge, and committ to be an happiness facilitator?
HOW: you can do this in many ways: helping family, relatives, friends, colleagues, strangers, etc. In same cases, it is important to make sure people know what you are doing for them: has your grandmother been waiting for months for you to pick-up that phone and call her more often? If so, then it makes a difference than it is you, and not someone else, calling her!
On the other hand, if you feel it is now time to act upon your feelings and donate your time or money to the local shelter, then just do it! You do not need to put a plate with your name on the building, and tell everyone you did it.
You can, for example, decide to facilitate joyful living for 5 people in one of the areas represented by AmAre:
* A – Aware and Accepting
* M – Meaningful and Motivated
* A – Active and Attentive
* R – Resilient and Respectful
* E – Eating properly and Exercising
And if you are in doubt, just ask! Do you see friends in trouble? You can speak with them, some times listening goes a long way, and for sure longer than talking. Is there anyone special, who made a difference in your life? Aknowledge it! Or maybe tomorrow you see a person you never saw before, and you will likely never see after, and you feel like sharing a genuine smile.
WHY: the self-help industry has been promoting for years the idea that you have to find time for yourself, pamper yourself, defend yourself, etc. While this works perfectly when it comes to selling self-help books and life-style products to people, this self-centered attitude is exactly what is devouring our earth.
Respecting, appreciating and embracing our personal strengths is powerful, as long as we also respect, appreciate and embrace other people’s qualities as well.
Please, feel free to:
– write below about your happiness challenge, how it unfolds, how you benefited people, etc. Be as specific or as generic as you find appropriate.
– mention your email address, if you would like to have your stories considered for future blog posts. We may get in touch to feature you in the section: http://www.amareway.org/happiness-meaning/happiness-challenge/.
– join our monthly newsletter (right side of this page) to stay updated about the challenge etc.
Peace and metta,
P.S.: Please note comments are put in a queue until one admin, usually daily, approves the queue. We publish all comments, as long as they are relevant (no spamming!) and respectful.